EMI Online Analyzer
EMI Online Analyzer Performance Index Tool System, developed by EMI’s Advanced Services Department, is a smart system initially designed to connect to OSIsoft PI server where Analyzers’ parameters reside (as PI Tags); but could be expanded to connect to other types of real-time systems as needed. This system provides a centralized tool that allows manufacturing companies to monitor and study the Analyzers located in all the company’s plants from a centralized screen and to generate reports that show result for long periods.
The system consists of the following main components:
- A web reporting tool that allows operators who have required privileges to generate different types of reports and charts to give them good understanding of the status/availability/performance of each analyzer and of a group of analyzers (e.g. Critical Analyzers, Analyzers of a specific plant…). Report generation is very fast and it is proved that it only takes some seconds before showing output to the operator.
- A data manipulation engine that is responsible for capturing the changes that appear on the Analyzers’ parameters and it executes the logic associated with the changed Analyzer to determine whether it is functioning normally or it is in a failure status. Then all those statuses are recorded in the archive database to keep track of them and in order to do advanced analysis which will be shown later in this document.
- A Manual Entry tool that allows specific users to manually modify existing failure records and to add new failures; in addition to assigning categories to holdup failures and submitting failure reports.
In the Reporting Tool, the operator selects:
- The plant to generate the report for
- The type of the report to generate
Data Manipulation Engine
The data manipulation engine is the software component that keeps watching all the analyzers’ parameters on the PI server; these parameters are represented as PI tags. In addition, it contains all the logic needed to generate reports and charts to the operators in order to enable them to perform advanced analysis. In summary, this component is responsible for all kind of data capturing, data storage, data manipulation, advanced calculation, business rules, and serving data queries. The Analyzers database basically consists of a number of Plants elements which represent the physical plants. Each plant has a group of Analyzers of different categories (Critical, Gas Detector…). The Analyzer is the main element in the system; it is controlled by a number of parameters and it is associated with a logical expression that determines the status of the Analyzer based on the values of the Analyzer’s parameters. The entire process of the engine is automated and does not need user interaction.
Manual Entry Tool
The purpose of the Manual Entry tool is to allow some operators to manually change the analyzers’ failures by modifying existing failures records and/or adding new failures. It also enables operators to submit failure reports and assign holdup categories to failures. This tool is also a web-enabled tool accessible from anywhere on the Network. The operator has only to have the required access level to use the tool.
This enables operators to:
- Edit existing Failures (even the failures that are automatically generated by the system)
- Add new Failures
- Submit Failure Reports
- Assign Categories to Holdup Failures (failures that passes a specific time period – 7 days, 14 days…)