Modular, web-enabled, industrial I/O controller that allows you to add various combinations of I/O to tailor it to your specific application. Expansion modules can either be directly connected to the X-400 through the expansion bus, or you can connect remote ControlByWeb devices through an Ethernet nework, including the Internet.
Unlimited Possibilities for Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)
The X-400™ is a fully-featured, Ethernet I/O controller. Add up to 32 expansion modules and/or remote I/O devices for remote monitoring and control for up to 100 I/O.
Create custom logic with no scripting necessary using the X-400’s intuitive Task Builder. Monitor and log sensors and control relays using the X-400’s built-in web interface.
It can be controlled and/or monitored over any TCP/IP network including private networks, IP-based industrial control networks, and the Internet.
Directly Connected I/O
Monitor up to 16 Temperature & Humidity Sensors
Ranges: -67°F to 257°F (-55°C to +125°C)
The X-400 features a 1-Wire Bus for connect up to 16 temperature/humidity sensors.
Add I/O expansion modules (below) to the X-400 for an I/O solution that is tailored to your specific application.
The possibilities are endless!
Peer-to-Peer Communication (P2P)
The X-400 supports peer-to-peer communication between ControlByWeb devices. The X-400 can communicate with all expansion modules and other ControlByWeb devices but offers instantaneous messaging between X-400 Series products. This means that the X-400 controller can monitor and control I/O on other X-400 Series products as if it was directly connected to the controller!
The X-400’s built-in interface allows you to create custom “Tasks” for simple and advanced control logic.
Easily create tasks based on inputs or outputs’ status. Create up to three actions for each task providing you with the ultimate control and monitoring solution for your application!
Create up to 50 Scheduled Tasks, 50 Conditional Tasks, 20 Automatic Reboot Tasks, and 20 Override Schedules.
The X-400 also has a built-in BASIC interpreter for more advanced or custom applications.
Conditional tasks are triggered depending on an input’s or output’s status.
Conditional tasks are commonly used for creating email/text alerts, controlling outputs, and logging.
Scheduled tasks perform actions at preset times on specific days.
Scheduled tasks are commonly used to control relays or log I/O data at a specified time.
Write BASIC scripts for more advanced logic. The X-400 also includes powerful features such as, automatically rebooting devices when they become unresponsive (i.e., cameras, routers, servers, etc.).
The X-400 offers the ability to log a variety of data points such as local and remote I/O, registers, and voltage. Log entries can be made at preset intervals, scheduled times, triggered by I/O changes or logic events.
Schedule a daily log file to be sent via email or uploaded via FTP server.
Graph the current log file and view the I/O’s status over time.
The X-400 supports HTTPS connections, can send encrypted emails, can communicate with remote devices using TLS.
Other Advanced Features
The X-400 has more advanced features such as the ability to initiate a connection to remote servers, BASIC programming, admin/manager/user permissions, etc.
Users access the X-400 through a built-in web page, called the Control Page. The Control Page can be customized by administrators.
Use the Control Page to:
- Control (On, Off, or Pulse):
- Digital Outputs
- Monitor status of:
- Digital Inputs
- Analog inputs
- 1-Wire sensors
Optionally, the Control Page can be password protected for additional security.
I/O such as relays, digital/analog inputs need to be added to the X-400 via expansion or remote I/O modules before they can appear on the Control Page.
The X-400 supports three types of users that provide different levels of access to the module’s settings and Control pages. Each user type has a unique password and is configured by the administrator in the setup pages.
Administrators have full access to all device settings, tasks, and the Control Page.
Managers only have access to Scheduled Tasks and Control Page.
Access to Control Page only. Administrators have the option to enable/disable this password.
All of these features make the X-400 the ultimate solution for monitoring and data acquisition!
Applications – Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)
The X-400 is a simple, but powerful Ethernet I/O module for large and small IIoT applications which require simple or advanced control logic.
The X-400 is ideal for applications where sensors and electrical devices are spread out and connected to various X-400 Series devices. Here are a couple of IIoT examples for the X-400:
Sports Web-Based Lighting Controller with Scheduling
The following illustration shows two X-400 devices used for controlling a series of lights using its built-in web pages. The X-400’s built-in features make it easily configurable as a robust light controller.
Location 1: X-400 – Light Controller
The X-400 connects to several X-11s expansion modules, and with the X-11s’ high-current relays, it allows you to directly wire as many lights as needed without needing to use an interposer relay!
The X-400 can be conveniently located wherever the lights are wired.
The X-400 devices can seamlessly communicate with one another via peer-to-peer communication. This allows the push buttons connected to one X-400, to control the lights connected to the other X-400.
Location 2: X-400 – Push-Button Controller
Another X-400 device is able to be conveniently wired to all of the push-button switches which control the lights.
Configure the X-400 to make a push-button:
- Set the lights on a timer.
- Turn on an individual light or group of lights.
- Stagger the order lights turn on to reduce the current draw.
- Schedule the lights to turn on/off at preset times and days
The image above is for illustration purposes only. It does not represent actual wiring.
Other IIoT Applications
Control different combinations of locks, sensors, lights, etc. using the X-400 module.
Server Room Monitoring & Auto Reboot
Monitor a server room environment. Automatically reboot unresponsive network devices.
- Expansion Bus – Control, monitor, and log 32 expansion and/or remote modules, or up to 100 I/O
- Secure Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Communication
- 1-Wire Bus: Monitor up to 16 temp/humidity sensors: -67°F to 257°F (-55°C to +125°C)
- Secure, built-in web server for configuration and remote monitoring
- User Permissions: Admin, Manager, User
- Task Builder
- 50 Scheduled Tasks
- 50 Conditional Tasks
- 20 Reboot Tasks
- 20 Override Schedules
- Send email alerts based on user-defined conditions (supports encrypted email servers, such as Gmail)
- Real-Time Clock with NTP server synchronization
- Automatic daylight savings and leap year adjustment
- Highly configurable – Almost any combination of input/relay control possible
- No software required
- Customizable, web-based Control Page
- BASIC script support for advanced flexibility
- Data Logging
- Graphing (logged data)
- HTTPS/TLS encrypted
- Static or DHCP IP address configuration
- Modbus, SNMP, Remote Service, IP Filtering
- Field updatable
- Removable 14-Terminal connector for easy installation
- Rugged DIN-Rail/wall-mountable enclosure
X-400 Part Numbers
|PART NUMBER||INPUTS/OUTPUTS||POWER SUPPLY|
|X-400-I||1-Wire Bus: Up to 16 sensors
Expansion Bus – Up to 32 Expansion Modules
- Voltage: 9-28 VDC
- Max Current: (See Table)
Power Supply Input Current
(no expansion modules)
(X-400 + 1.7A for expansion modules)
9 VDC 134 mA 1.834 A 12 VDC 101 mA 1.801 A 24 VDC 55 mA 1.755 A
- Expansion Bus: 1.7A max
- Maximum Number of Sensors: 16
- Type: Dallas Semiconductor DS18B20
- Temperature Range: -67°F to 257°F (-55°C to +125°C)
- Accuracy: ±0.5°C (from -10°C to +85°C)
- Sensor Functions: Monitor Temperature, Log Temperature, Email Alerts, SNMP Traps
- Humidity Type: Xytronix Model X-DTHS-P sensor
- Humidity Range: 0-100% RH
- Accuracy: ±2%
- Max Cable Length: 600 feet (180m) maximum combined cable length
- Manual or NTP(Network Time Protocol) setup
- NTP Sync Period: Once, Daily, Weekly, On Powerup
- Auto Daylight Savings Adjustment
- Battery (capacitor) Power Backup
Capacitor Power Backup
- Backup Functions: Retain Real-Time Clock, 1 Register, 2 Counters, 64 Relay States (local and expansion relays only)
- Backup Duration: 2 week minimum
- Type: 10/100 Base-T Ethernet Port
- Setup: Static or DHCP IP address configuration
- Power and 1-Wire Bus: 5-Position, 3.81mm terminal spacing, Removable. For 16-28 AWG wire.
- Expansion Bus: Ribbon cable, 10-conductor, polarized, 2×5-position, 0.100″ pitch Provides power and communications for expansion modules (Communications: RS-485)
- Network: 8-pin RJ-45
- Number of LEDs: 3
- Power on
- Network linked
- Network activity
- Operating Temperature: -40°F to 150°F (-40°C to 65.5°C)
- 1.41in (35.7mm) wide
- 3.88in (98.5mm) tall
- 3.1in (78mm) deep (not including connector)
- Weight: 5 oz (142 grams)
- Enclosure Material: Lexan 940 Polycarbonate Plastic
- Enclosure Flame Rating: UL94 V0
- HTTP, HTTPS, SSL, XML, Modbus TCP/IP, SNMP V1,2C,V3, SMTP
- Number of LEDs: 3
- Email Addresses: 8
- Encrypted Email Alerts: STARTTLS and TLSL/SSL
- Alert Functions: I/O states – Fully customizable
- Log File Size: 3,072-Kbyte (up to 50,688 logs)
- Storage: Nonvolatile Flash
- Buffer Architecture: Circular Buffer
Log data can be periodically read and stored on a computer
- Task Builder
- BASIC interpreter (up to 4-Kbytes script file size)
- Remote services
- Password Length: 6-18 Characters
- Electromagnetic Compliance:
- IEC CISPR 22, CISPR 24, EU EN55024, EN55022
- FCC 47CFR15 (Class B)
- Product Safety Compliance:
- UL 61010-1 (Electrical Equipment for Measurement, Control, and Laboratory Use)