X-420™ | Web-Enabled Instrumentation-Grade Data Acquisition
The X-420 features 4 Analog-to-Digital Inputs, 2 Digital I/O, up to 16 1-Wire Sensors (temp/humidity), Frequency Input, and a built-in web-server for remote access anywhere in the world!
Unlimited Possibilities for Industrial Internet of Things
The X-420™ is a fully-featured, Ethernet I/O monitoring and data acquisition module with an innovative solution for creating advance logic (tasks) without the need for scripting.
Monitor and log up to 100 inputs and/or outputs from up to 32 remote I/O modules using the X-420’s intuitive web interface. Push sensor data to other ControlByWeb modules.
No software required, no programming necessary, and no subscription to buy.
4 Analog Inputs (Multi-Function)
±1.28V, ±2.56V, ±5.12V, ±10.24V, 4-20mA
Configurable for single-ended, differential or 4-20mA (0-20mA) input operation. Monitor industrial sensors, wind direction sensors, pyranometers, pressure transducers, and much more.
2 Digital I/O
Configurable as inputs or outputs | 0-5VDC
Inputs: Monitor dry contacts including push buttons, magnetic door alarm switches, micro-switches, etc.
Outputs: Provides a digital logic signal which can be connected to a solid-state relay to control motors, pumps, lights, etc.
Up to 16 Temperature/Humidity Sensors
Monitor up to 16, 1-Wire sensors such as: Temperature and humidity sensors.
1 Frequency Input
AC coupled frequency input
Monitor a frequency input such as: Magnetic wind speed sensor, transformer, etc.
Peer-to-Peer Communication (P2P)
Monitor and Control up to 100 I/O
The X-420 supports peer-to-peer communication between ControlByWeb modules. It communicates with up to 32 modules and allows you to monitor and control up to 100 I/O points. The X-420 can communicate with all ControlByWeb devices* but offers instantaneous messaging between X-400 Series products, this means that the X-420 can monitor and control I/O on other X-400 Series products as if it was directly connected to the module.
*Does not communicate with the X-600 series products
The X-420’s built-in interface allows you to create custom “Tasks” for simple and advanced control logic.
Easily create tasks based on inputs or outputs’ status. Create up to three actions for each task providing you with the ultimate control and monitoring solution for your application!
Create up to 50 Scheduled, 50 Conditional, and 20 Override Schedules.
Conditional tasks are triggered depending on an input’s or output’s status.
Conditional tasks are commonly used for creating alerts, controlling outputs, and logging.
Scheduled tasks perform actions at preset times on specific days.
Scheduled tasks are commonly used to log I/O data at a specified time, or to control digital outputs.
The X-420 contains a BASIC script interpreter. This allows you to create scripts that calculate analog parameters or create advanced control logic.
The X-420 offers the ability to log a variety of data points such as local and remote I/O, registers, and voltage. Log entries can be made at preset intervals, scheduled times, triggered by I/O changes or logic events.
Schedule a daily log file to be sent via email or uploaded via FTP server.
Graph the current log file and view the I/O’s status over time.
Other Advanced Features
The X-420 has more advanced features such as the ability to initiate a connection to remote servers, BASIC programming, admin/manager/user permissions, etc.
Monitor and Control Page
Users access the X-420 through a built-in web page, called the Control Page. The Control Page can be customized by administrators.
Use the Control Page to:
- Control (On, Off, or Pulse):
- Digital Outputs
- Monitor status of:
- Digital Inputs
- Analog inputs
- 1-Wire sensors
Optionally, the Control Page can be password protected for additional security.
The X-420 supports three types of users that provide different levels of access to the module’s settings and Control pages. Each user type has a unique password and is configured by the administrator in the setup pages.
Full access to all Settings, Tasks, and Control Page.
Access to Scheduled Tasks and Control Page.
Access to Control Page only.
Applications – Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)
The X-420 is a simple, but powerful Ethernet I/O module for large and small IIoT applications which require simple or advanced control logic. A select few of the many X-420’s IIoT applications include:
Generator Monitoring and Control
The following illustration shows the X-420 module monitoring and controlling an industrial generator by using its built-in web pages.
The X-420 is monitoring the generator’s run status, output current, transfer status, battery voltage, coolant and air temperature, and door sensor. It’s also able to remotely start/or stop the generator. Read More
Fluid Level Monitoring
Basic configuration for monitoring fluid levels using the analog inputs.
Other IIoT Applications
Using a transformer, monitor and log A/C line frequency using the X-420 module.
Monitor and log temperature and/or humidity using the 1-Wire bus on the X-420 module.
- Four analog inputs: ±1.28V, ±2.56V, ±5.12V, ±10.24V, 4-20mA, 4-20mA
- Two configurable digital inputs/outputs 0-5VDC
- 1-Wire Bus for up to 16 sensors (temperature, humidity, ultrasonic sensors, etc.)
- One AC coupled frequency input
- Control, monitor, and log 32 remote modules, or up to 100 I/O
- User Permissions: Admin, Manager, User
- 50 Scheduled
- 50 Conditional
- 20 Override Schedules
- Send email alerts based on user-defined conditions (supports encrypted email servers, such as Gmail)
- Real-Time Clock with NTP server synchronization
- Automatic daylight savings and leap year adjustment
- Highly configurable – Almost any combination of input/relay control possible
- No software required
- Customizable web-based Control Page
- BASIC script support for advanced flexibility
- Graphing (logged data)
- HTTPS/TLS encrypted
- Static or DHCP IP address configuration
- Modbus, SNMP, Remote Service, IP Filtering
- Field updatable
- Removable 14-Terminal connector for easy installation
- Rugged DIN-Rail/wall-mountable enclosure
X-420 Part Numbers (Differences highlighted in green)
|PART NUMBER||OUTPUTS||INPUTS||POWER SUPPLY|
|X-420-I||Digital I/O: 2 (configurable)||Analog: 4
|X-420-E||Digital I/O: 2 (configurable)||Analog: 4
|POE and/or 9-28 VDC|
- Voltage: 9-28 VDC
- X-420-E: POE and/or 9-28 VDC
- Max Current: 175mA Max (2-Digital I/O=On, no 1-wire sensors. See users manual for typical values at 25°C)
- Logic output to external controllers 5V high through 49.9 Ohm resistor
- Number of Inputs: 2 (configurable)
- Type: Non-Isolated
- Voltage Range: 0-5VDC
- Current: Switchable 47K Pullup/Pulldown
- Vin Hi (Min):
- Vin LO (Max):
- Debounce: 0 to 250mS (configurable)
- Minimum Hold Time: 1ms
- Number of Counter Inputs: 0-2 (configurable)
- Max Count Rate: 200Hz Max
- Input Functions: Monitor State, Control Digital I/O, Control Remote Relays, Scalable Counter, On Timer, Total On Timer, Frequency
- Edge Trigger: Rising, Falling or Both
- Type: AC coupled, sine or square wave (works with millivolt magnetic wind speed sensors)
- Input Voltage: 20Vpp max
- Hysteresis: 25mV
- 0-20 kHz input frequency
- Sine or Square Wave
- 1 second average
- Minimum input level:
|Input Frequency||Min Vin|
|Vin @ 1 Hz||50mVpp|
|Vin @ 10 Hz||50mVpp|
|Vin @ 100 Hz||60mVpp|
|Vin @ 1 kHz||80mVpp|
|Vin @ 10 kHz||700mVpp|
|Vin @ 20 kHz||1.7Vpp min|
- Number of Inputs: 4
- Resolution: 16-bit, SAR
- Type: Single-ended, differential, 4-20mA (0-20mA), or a combination
- Input Range: ±1.28V, ±2.56V, ±5.12V, ±10.24V, 4-20mA
- Max Input Voltage (Vin): -12.5V < Vin < +12.5V
- Input Impedance (Zin): > 500Meg Ohm
- Channel Off Leakage: ±0.6nA (typ)
- Input Common Mode Rejection: >100dB
- Total Unadjusted Error: -9LSB (min), +9LSB (max)
- Voltage Reference Drift: ±5 ppm/°C
- Internal 4-20mA input shunt: 200-ohm, ±0.1%, 25ppm (uses ±5.12V range)
- Logging Rate: 25 Hz
- Maximum Number of Sensors: 16
- Type: Digital 1-Wire (Maxim Semiconductor DS18B20)
- Temperature Range: -67°F to 257°F (-55°C to +125°C)
- Accuracy: ±0.5°C (from -10°C to +85°C)
- Sensor Functions: Monitor Temperature, Control Digital I/O, Control Remote Relays, Log Temperature, Email Alerts
- Humidity Type: Xytronix Model X-DTHS-P sensor
- Humidity Range: 0-100% RH
- Accuracy: ±2%
- Max Cable Length: 600 feet (180m) maximum combined cable length
- Manual or NTP(Network Time Protocol) setup
- NTP Sync Period: Once, Daily, Weekly, On Powerup
- Auto Daylight Savings Adjustment
- Battery (capacitor) Power Backup
Capacitor Power Backup
- Backup Functions: Retain Real-Time Clock, 1 Register, 2 Counters, 2 Digital I/O
- Backup Duration: 2 week minimum
- Type: 10/100 Base-T Ethernet Port
- Setup: Static or DHCP IP address configuration
- Power, Outputs, and Inputs: 14-Position, 3.81mm terminal spacing, Removable. For 16-28 AWG wire.
- Network: 8-pin RJ-45
- Number of LEDs: 5
- Power on
- I/O (1-2)
- Network linked
- Network activity
- Operating Temperature: -40°F to 150°F (-40°C to 65.5°C)
- 1.41in (35.7mm) wide
- 3.88in (98.5mm) tall
- 3.1in (78mm) deep (not including connector)
- Weight: 5 oz. (142 g)
- Enclosure Material: Lexan 940 Polycarbonate Plastic
- Enclosure Flame Rating: UL94 V0
- HTTP, HTTPS, SSL, XML, Modbus TCP/IP, SNMP, SMTP, Remote Services
- Log File Size: 3,072K (up to 50,688 log entries depending on configuration)
- Storage: Nonvolatile Flash
- Buffer Architecture: Circular Buffer
Log data can be periodically read and stored on a computer
- Task Builder
- BASIC interpreter
- Remote services
- Password Length: 6-18 Characters
- IEC CISPR 22, CISPR 24
- EU EN55024, EN55022
- X-420-I: FCC 47CFR15 (Class B)
- X-420-E: FCC 47CFR15 (Class A)
Product Safety Compliance
- UL 61010-1 (Electrical Equipment for Measurement, Control, and Laboratory Use)